Work permit resource by IME Clinic Inc.

All you need to know about Post-Graduation Work Permit in Canada. A guide by IME Clinic Inc.

Updated on May 5th, 2023

If you are applying for a Post-Graduation Work Permit in a public health related field, you must complete an Immigration Medical Exam!

The Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWP) allows graduates from Canadian designated learning institutions to obtain a work permit. However, those who intend to work in fields related to public health, such as in medicine or even in education, must pass an Immigration Medical Exam.

Are you eligible for a Post-Graduation Work Permit?

Firstly, you must be a graduate from a designated learning institution in Canada. These institutions include:

  • Public post-secondary institutions, such as college, university, or trade school
  • Private post-secondary institutions
  • You can find a list of eligible institutions on this page.

As well, you must show documentation that you:

  • Have completed the program that is at least 8 months in duration at an eligible Canadian institution
  • You must have received a degree, diploma, or certificate
  • Maintained full-time student status
  • Possess a transcript and official letter confirming you have met all requirements of the program
  • Hold a valid study permit

Finally, you may be ineligible for the following reasons:

  • You have already been issued a post-graduation work permit in the past
  • Are receiving funding from Global Affairs Canada
  • Have completed the majority of your credits through distance learning

Click here to find more information on the post graduation work permit program.

What does the Post-Graduation Work Permit allow?

The PGWP works similarly to the open work permit. Therefore, with this permit you can work full time, part time, and even be self-employed.

How long is the Post-Graduation Work Permit valid for?

Your PGWP may be valid for a minimum of 8 months, to a maximum of three years.

Are you required to take an Immigration Medical Exam?

Applicants for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program must complete an Immigration Medical Exam if they are planning to work in sectors related to public health. Examples of jobs related to public health include:

  • Nursing
  • Hospital staff
  • Education
  • Elder care
  • Childcare
  • Clinical laboratory work
  • For a complete list, please visit this page.

What happens if you do not take an Immigration Medical Exam?

If you do not submit an Immigration Medical Exam along with your PGWP, it is possible that your permit will still be granted. However, you may not receive authorization to work in health fields, childcare, education, etc.

In order to change this condition in your permit, you must complete an Immigration Medical Exam. It is possible to make changes to your permit through the IRCC online website located here. In doing so, you will remove the restrictions on your permit once it is processed, and you will be able to work in your desired field.

Thank you for reading with us and learning the post graduation work permit in Canada

We hope you found our findings informative. Please visit our resources page to find more informative blogs on Canadian Immigration and IME. Share our resources with your friends and family to spread the knowledge. Furthermore, to stay updated with immigration news, check our website for weekly/bi-weekly updates. Alternatively, connect with us via our Facebook or Instagram page to get notified of our recent posts.

Furthermore, if you require IME, please book online with our registered panel physician near you.

Moreover, IME Clinic accepts patients from all over Canada, with multiple locations in Lower Mainland, BC (Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey, Coquitlam, Langley and more. Whether you come from Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey, or even Toronto, Montreal or Calgary, we are here to help you!

We wish you luck with your immigration to Canada!